Young adults ages 18-25 belong to the age group most vulnerable to substance abuse and addiction. While rates of alcohol abuse among people ages 18-25 are similar to that of adults ages 26 and older, studies have found that young adults tend to have more problematic and hazardous drinking patterns than adults over the age of 26. When it comes to drug abuse, the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) found that nearly 1 in 7 young adults has a substance use disorder and 1 in 13 have an illicit drug use disorder.
Young adult brains are still developing, so substance abuse during these pivotal years can greatly increase the risk of addiction. Young adults abuse drugs for a variety of reasons, ranging from peer pressure, trying to fit in, and experimentation to coping with mental illness, trauma, and other contributing factors. Many young adults are also finishing their education, starting their careers, or raising their own families, and addiction can severely impact their ability to carry out these obligations successfully.
Young adults have unique risk factors for substance abuse. They also have specific treatment needs that older adults may not have. Young adult rehab centers in California provide substance abuse treatment that is uniquely tailored to the needs of men and women ages 18-25.
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, please reach out to the qualified admissions coordinators at Sheer Recovery today to learn about our young adult addiction treatment options in Southern California.
Addressing the Factors that Contribute to Substance Abuse and Addiction in Young Adults
Some of the most widely used drugs by young adults are alcohol, marijuana, hallucinogens, and prescription drugs (opioids, stimulants, and benzodiazepines). In 2018, the NSDUH estimated that up to 5.1 million young adults were struggling with a substance use disorder, but only 10% received any form of treatment.
Young adults who seek substance abuse treatment must be able to address the reasons why they abuse drugs and alcohol in the first place. Some of the most common reasons why young adults start abusing substances include:
- Mental health – Untreated depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and other mental health conditions increase the risk of substance abuse and addiction because people often try to self-medicate their symptoms using drugs or alcohol.
- Experimentation with peers – Many young adults are leaving the safety of their parent’s homes for the first time. This comes with newfound freedom and curiosity. Some young adults get involved with groups of people who use drugs or alcohol, and they want to fit in so they start doing the same things. Young adults often enjoy the thrill of trying new things–even drugs and alcohol.
- Stress – Young adulthood can be stressful. People are figuring out how to navigate being an adult, paying bills, raising a family, working a professional career, and more. Many young adults abuse drugs or alcohol to alleviate stress.
- Enhancing performance – Young adults who are trying to excel in college, at their workplace, in a sport, or in any other aspect of their lives may begin taking stimulants or other performance-enhancing drugs to be more productive or successful.
Young adult rehab centers in California can provide dual diagnosis treatment to help clients overcome co-occurring mental health conditions. They also facilitate calming, holistic therapies to help clients cope with stress, further eliminating the need to use substances. Lastly, young adult recovery programs will promote peer support, allowing young people to foster healthy relationships with other people in recovery rather than people who are actively using drugs or alcohol.
Qualities to Look for When Choosing a Young Adult Drug & Alcohol Rehab in California
Inpatient residential rehab programs are the best option for young adults because they provide the most intensive, in-depth care possible. While researching your young adult addiction treatment options, it’s most important to consider your unique needs and make sure the rehab center you choose can address them.
Ask yourself these questions before deciding on a treatment program. Then, pick the rehab center that can best address your needs.
- What insurance do you have?
- What underlying issues do you struggle with (trauma, mental illness, etc.)?
- Do you want to stay close to home or get some space between you and your triggers?
- Are there any specific therapies you know you want to participate in?
- What amenities are important to you?
- What aftercare services do you think you’ll need?
Oftentimes, assessing your own needs is challenging. The best way to determine your treatment needs and if a rehab center can address them is to consult with an admissions coordinator. An admissions coordinator can conduct a confidential, risk-free assessment to match you with the right program for you.
Your recovery and your future are on the line, so it’s also important to look for the qualities of a trustworthy, reliable addiction treatment center. The best young adult drug rehab centers in California will:
- Be fully licensed and accredited
- Utilize evidence-based therapies in their daily treatments
- Have an educated and experienced staff
- Have a multidisciplinary clinical team consisting of doctors, nurses, mental health specialists, addiction counselors, social workers, and more
- Be located in a safe, friendly area
- Offer individually-tailored treatment plans based on your situation and medical necessity
- Provide aftercare planning services to assist you in your transition out of rehab
The Advantages of Inpatient Addiction Treatment for Young Adults
Inpatient rehab centers are the most popular option for young adults. Inpatient or residential rehab centers offer 24-hour care, supportive housing, and structured living, all of which can help young adults get their lives back on track. Also, while living at a treatment facility among other young adults, clients can gain support and recognize that they are not alone in their struggles.
In addition to being able to connect with sober peers with shared experiences and goals, other benefits of inpatient rehab for young adults include:
- Specialized therapy sessions – Since young adults face different challenges and stressors than older adults, therapy sessions are designed to target the needs of this age group. Therapy may discuss mental health, family issues, workplace challenges, childhood trauma, healthy socialization, communication skills, and more.
- Supportive housing – Young adults struggling with addiction today are more likely than older adults to not have access to safe, supportive, and sober housing. Inpatient rehab centers offer drug-and-alcohol-free supervised housing for clients, separating individuals from the triggers of the real world so they can focus on recovery.
- Skills development – Many young adults who struggle with addiction can benefit from social skills development because of the ways in which addiction can affect emotional and social health. Young adult rehab programs can help clients develop healthier social skills that can benefit them personally and professionally.
Start Your Recovery at a Young Adult Drug Rehab Center in California Today
Many young adults view their substance abuse as harmless, and when it comes to the question of addiction, they think, “no, it won’t happen to me.” This mindset is extremely dangerous. It leads many successful young adults down a dangerous path of addiction and other risky behaviors. Without early treatment, addiction will get worse, leading to serious problems in one’s social life, career, family, and friendships.
Sheer Recovery is licensed by the California State Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and fully accredited by the Joint Commission. Offering individualized treatment plans in a safe, secure, and relaxing environment truly sets Sheer Recovery apart from other Southern California rehab centers.
Our experienced clinical team and mental health professionals are committed to the safety, comfort, and overall recovery of our clients throughout their stay with us. We also offer multiple levels of care, allowing clients to start with inpatient rehab before transitioning to partial hospitalization (PHP) and then intensive outpatient (IOP), easing the transition away from rehab and into real life.
If you or another young adult in your life are struggling with addiction, please do not hesitate to contact us and learn about your treatment options. Our qualified admissions coordinators are available 24 hours a day. Call now to get started.
Still have questions? Give us a call today.
- No Obligation When You Call
- All Contact Is Completely Confidential
- Expert and Caring Staff Ready For You
"*" indicates required fields